Thursday 6 March 2014

random things that make me smile

SO I just made a cup of tea this morning and out of the drawer of posh cutlery came "The B.A spoon", this spoon makes me smile...One of my parents, most likely my father must have stolen this spoon at some point in the 80's, 90's and it made its way into their cutlery drawer and when we inherited "homes" cutlery it then made its way into our drawers, most people might think "urgh whats this horrid airline spoon doing in my drawers?" and dispense of said offensive object stat but for me it makes me smile as I can imagine my father pocketing it for some bizarre reason, our housekeeper finding it in his travel things and just washing it along with the rest, this thought comforts me , hence why the B.A spoon is somewhat of a celebrity of spoons in the spoon section.

This led me onto other random things which make me smile...a lot have connotations of my father, his navy cashmere jumper , his old soft pink and white checked shirt, a book he gave me -The Man eaters of Tsavo - all of which pop out on sad days.
My teddy bear "Roy" because he is corduroy fabric, or once was, my teddy that at age 34 and 3/4 I cant sleep well without, that has had 1 major bout of surgery and is in DIRE need of another but I simply cant bare to be parted from him even though he looks REVOLTING.
My rings by the kitchen sink make me smile, all the little bits of jewellery Mr CJ has given me over the years, some expensive, some not at all, but all equally precious, old valentines cards, finding photos of school days and old partners in crime, long grown up and gone our separate ways...Coming down in the night for a glass of water and hearing the thump thump of Roo's tail as he is pleased to see me but cant be arsed to move off his bed and hearing Tyler's soft snoring...Lying in a bath at sundown seeing all the birds flying back to their nests above and in our home...Seeing the daffodils and snowdrops emerge in our garden hinting at spring, lots and lots of things in fact If you think about it...and sometimes you do, and it helps "what makes me smile? what LITTLE things make me happy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment