Friday 13 September 2013

MY Great Grans Dressing up fantabulousness

When I was 7 my Great Gran gave me the BEST present a little girl could want, a whole stash of dressing up clothes, bridal, peasant, fairy dresses everything you could possibly want all beautifully made. Not the cheap tat you get these days, crystals and sequins and silks...wondrous things.. My friend Lizzie and I would play for hours in my family's beautiful garden prancing about in the 2 fairy costumes I think mostly. I WISH WISH we still had those dresses but unfortunately they were lent to my cousins who have over time lost them I think....They were such wonderful costumes and I remember still squeezing myself into them until they no longer fit me at all! One I wore to the Lord Mayor of London's ball! My great Gran died when I was about 9, I don't remember a huge deal about her other than that she was very very cool, and seemed to not give a toss what people thought of her, She liked to sing ALOT, she was uber glamourous and very generous, She often treated me to days out in london and we always took taxis as she "didn't do public transport" and in those taxis I was made to sing "doing the lambeth walk" and had to do the "oi" VERY loudly which would send her into fits of giggles. She also smelt nice....and thats pretty much all I can remember.

In my "treasure box" I do still have one of the sequin purses that went with one outfit, most of the sequins have fallen off but its all I have left of those costumes and its pretty precious.

Wish she could see her Great Great Granddaughter....

No comments:

Post a Comment